Thursday, April 29, 2010

BSLE 2010 Begins!

Welcome friends and family to my first post!
Right now I am sitting amongst all of my things yet to be packed and I thought this would be a perfect break to do some blogging. I am also taking a break from helping my sister and her husband move today (the Buchoks enjoy scheduling important life events all at once for a challenge).

I am leaving for Bangladesh tomorrow and I cannot believe it’s already time to go. I’ll be there for five weeks participating in the Bangladesh Service Learning Experience with the University of Manitoba. After hearing about all the great experiences others have had in past years, I had to apply in my last year of University. I’m graduating with an advanced degree in anthropology, and the opportunity to immerse myself in another culture for five weeks allows me a first hand chance to experience elements of my degree not possible to do in Winnipeg.

Starting months ago people started to ask me if I was getting excited for this trip. While on the one hand I get so worked up sometimes I feel like I could actually combust, between graduating and having to say goodbye to an establishment that has given me so much over the years, I feel more anxious and melancholy than anything. I also equate the feeling to bracing before a giant wave, one I felt before when I first moved to Winnipeg. One that comes with a life changing moment that you know will somehow change you forever. This might start to sound heavy but in reality I’m ready to dive in!....Wait, did I just start using ocean metaphors? It must be late and I apologize, it won’t happen again.

Five hours have elapsed since I began writing this blog and I’m almost all packed up. I can’t wait to see the rest of the team tomorrow and start this amazing journey! I will do my best to keep up with my posts and keep in contact with everyone!

Yours Truly,

Celia

8 comments:

  1. Have an amazing time Celia. I hope the advice I gave you at the Leaders dinner becomes relevant on your trip and wasn't just incoherent blabbering. I'll be sure to keep up with the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best of everything to you on your journey, Celia!
    Looking forward to following your blog.
    BIG HUGS,
    Terri
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Celia...remember Gondola Pizza and beer await your return after your fantastic journey
    Love Auntie Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will have an amazing time and I'm looking forward to reading all about it. Who doesn't love a good ocean metaphor? :)
    Happy travels Celia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. have a great adventure. This is the experience of a life time!!!! I'll be following you as close as I can. Love Auntie Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds exciting, Celia! In addition to the new culture, all the new people you'll meet will be great.

    Looking forward to updates.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are all travelling in the back pack with you. Let the adventure begin. What a wonderful opportunity to be immersed in another culture. Learn lots and be safe. This is Mom

    ReplyDelete
  8. You're going to have a fantastic and challenging time that feels like a whole lifetime away, Celia! Cherish every moment; we will be adventuring vicariously with you. I look forward to reading your blog, and to giving you a big hug upon your return! (I get one before Al, because I posted first). :D

    ReplyDelete